Grey College JCR Membership 23-24
The JCR membership fee (levy) is currently £60 per year, and on joining you'll become a member of a community of over 1,100 students. Most students opt to pay for the duration of their degree at the start of their studies (£180 for a 3-year BSc/BA/LLB); please note students who are studying on a 4-year integrated Masters course (MEng, MPhys, MSci etc.) benefit from a reduced rate of £40 for their fourth and final year, so pay £220 in total; students who are on a BA/BSc degree which includes a year abroad should only pay for three year membership. Students who would find the payment of the three or four year charge at the start of their time at Durham, should contact Dr Swift Vice Principal of the College in confidence via firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternative arrangements. The JCR is run by students for students, and whilst JCR membership is optional, we strongly encourage all students to join to make the most of their time at Durham. The levy goes towards subsidising the running of the JCR and its activities. Through participation in sports and societies, students get to know many people from across the College. The JCR organises most of the student life and activity in College and members can:
• Join practices, performances (or equivalent) and meetings of college societies and sports clubs, including the right to stand for office of the society/club. Non-members can only participate if they pay a yearly joining fee for each club/society they wish to join;
• Vote at JCR meetings, and stand for elected office;
• Represent the JCR on college committees and through taking on unelected roles supporting and organising JCR activity, including helping with Induction week and Visit Days;
• Priority booking time and payment of preferential members’ rates to events organised by the JCR (including Induction week, Balls, Formal and Special Dinners).
• Access to use of JCR equipment (musical instruments, sports, tech);